If you're already looking for gifts for a certain person, you're likely to find at least 2 or 3 things they'd like. Instead of buying just one for their birthday, why not buy two gifts, give one for their birthday and save the other one for Christmas?
The advantages of doing this are:
- It spreads the cost of Christmas shopping over the whole year.
- A better selection of products are usually available outside the Christmas rush period when lots of things have sold out.
- You can buy presents in sales that are held throughout the year.
- It saves time - you only shop for presents for each person once during the year.
- It's not possible to do this for your children because they usually receive a number of gifts on both their birthdays and at Christmas (!)
- If you're shopping for a particular person's birthday gift in a month when you're short of cash, your budget probably won't stretch to buying another present. However, you could always look for a gift they'd like and buy it as soon as your funds allow.
- If you know a lot of people with birthdays in the same month, it might not be financially viable to buy them all 2 presents.